Ambulatory ECG (Holter) Monitor is a small, portable electrocardiographic device that you wear during your normal daily activities, including sleep. It provides a round-the-clock recording of your heart rhythm.
What are the benefits of Holter monitoring?
This is a non-invasive outpatient tool which provides excellent evaluation for patients with palpitations or irregular heart rhythms occurring sporadically and are thus difficult to detect with a conventional ECG (electrocardiogram) in the clinic.
Your doctor will use this test to:
- Assess your minimum, maximum and average heart rate over time
- Assess your heart rhythm over time
- Correlate your symptoms with your heart rhythm
- Diagnose abnormal heart rhythms – what kind they are, how long they last and whether they are dangerous
- Guide treatment for abnormal heart rhythms
Example of Atrial Fibrillation (most common irregular heart rhythm) picked up on a Holter tracing in a patient complaining of intermittent palpitations.
Who will benefit from this test?
Patients with symptoms of
- Irregular heart beats or palpitations
- Recurrent giddiness or fainting spells
How to prepare for the test
- Wear a shirt that can be easily removed so as to facilitate placement of the Holter device.
- Avoid any emollients or lotions on the day of the test as they interfere with the electrode-skin contact.
- Inform our doctor if you are on any medications or supplements as they may affect the outcome of your test.
How is the test performed?
- A light-weight, cable-free and wireless electrocardiograph (ECG) sensor will be attached to the skin over the left side of your chest via electrodes (sticky patches). It transmits your ECG signal wirelessly and continuously to a paired smartphone where a live ECG waveform is displayed and uploaded to a secured dedicated cloud server.
- You can view the ECG waveform “live” on the paired mobile device.
- A special feature on the phone allows you to ‘time-stamp’ an event, for example, if you are feeling fluttering feelings in your chest (palpitations), rapid heartbeats or any episodes of dizziness or faintness.
- This device is inconspicuous and allows monitoring of your heart rhythm for either 24 hours, 72 hours or up to 1 week. Our technician will teach you how to remove it during bath time and re-apply it immediately after.
- When the Holter monitoring test is complete, you will return the Holter monitor with the smartphone.
- Your entire ECG recording will be reviewed by our doctor and a summarized report of your heart rhythm will be provided and explained to you during your review.