What Are Pacemakers/ICDs?
Pacemakers are implanted to help correct a slow or irregular heart beat and all pacemakers store information about the rhythm of the heart when it is not being paced. A Pacemaker check gathers information about the battery and general performance of the implant.
Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) is an electronic device monitors the heart rhythm, identifies abnormal heart rhythms and determines the appropriate therapy to return your heartbeat to a normal heart rhythm. An ICD check ensures that the ICD is working properly and allows the doctor to program it to best optimize your cardiac status.
What can a Pacemaker/ICD Check detect?
- Battery Life – Estimates the duration of battery life left in the device (Pacemakers usually last 5-10 years) and the need for a battery change.
- Abnormal cardiac rhythms – Assess for any new heart rhythms that need adjustments in your medications.
- Functional status of the pacemaker/ICD – the pacemaker/ICD may be re-programmed to best suit your heart.
What are the benefits of a Pacemaker/ICD Check?
- Helps doctors detect abnormal heart rhythms & issues with your pacemaker
- Reduces Hospitalizations and visits to the emergency department
- Improves Quality of Life
- Provides patients with a sense of security and peace of mind
How is the test performed?
- You will be brought into an ECG Room.
- A small machine known as a programmer will be placed over your pacemaker and this machine allows the technician to read your pacemaker settings and make changes during testing. With these changes, the function of the pacemaker and leads can be evaluated.
- You will not feel anything during the check.
- The technician may ask you various questions during the check to assess how you are getting along.
- The check-up can take up to 30-40 minutes, depending on how complicated your particular pacemaker is.
Don't wait for your symptoms to worsen.
Early intervention can save your life.
Heart conditions left unchecked can lead to serious consequences. Seek peace of mind. Seek early intervention.